Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Meeting new people

Glass of whiskyOn my first day at work I looked at my impossibly camp, impeccibly dressed colleague; I swallowed my fear and asked, “Are you gay?”

He laughed, “Yes, sweetie. What gave me away?”

Two days later I sat at a hotel bar, with a whisky on the rocks and a book, waiting for a meeting to start.

“That’s not very social,” My boss said as he sat down beside me. He was an imposing man, tall and strong, smartly dressed.

“I’m sorry,” I stammered, “I-I just don’t know anyone.”

“Why did you leave your country?” I noticed his African accent.

To get away from judgement, from my parents, from the old me, I said.

“Me too,” he took a sip of my whisky without asking and walked off, calling us into the meeting room.

[Via http://biggaycloset.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment