Saturday, September 26, 2009

"I am the lemon zester of destruction!" aka The Glory of MST3K

Lets get one thing clear right off the bat: I am a nerd. A really really really huge nerd. I wear shirts that say things like “I like to think outside the quadrilateral parallelogram” and “nerds 2 squared ever” and “Wikipedia is Accurate. Citation Needed.” I have serious fangirl tendencies, as evidenced by the people I follow on twitter and the websites I frequent. As soon as they go on sale I will be purchasing my tickets to ComiCon 2010. I subscribe the the sxephil youtube channel. I have the entire Buffy the Vampire Slayer Series memorized.I could go on and on and on.

The point of this is, all of this nerdiness is nothing compared to the piece de resistance of my own personal geekdom: my complete obsession with MST3K. (Don’t ask me how I found out about MST3K. No, seriously, don’t ask me, because I will not tell you as you are not nearly as crazy as I am and you would not understand…) What is MST3K, might you ask? It is the brightest glory of this, our santa jesus lord. MST3K, shorthand for Mystery Science Theatre 3000, are a series of videos chronicling the sort-of imprisonment of Mike Nelson by what I would imagine Pinky and The Brain to look like if they were human. You see, human Pinky and Brain are evil scientists who send Mike into space, accompanied by his trusty sidekicks, Robots Tom Servo, Crow and Gypsy, and force them to watch horrible B movies made aproximately between the years of 1950 and 1975.

To cut the nerd for a moment: basically, they are videos of these three guys making really snarky and HILARIOUS commentary over these awful movies. Truly, it is one of the lights of my life, and I am proud to call myself a nerd if that means I am in the club of people who like these movies. There are websites where you can join MST3K meetups and go watch the vids with other devotees, and there is one in Arlington I am SERIOUSLY considering joining…

All and all, basically MST3K is just amazing. Like, really really fucking amazing. If any of you want to jump the “I am a normal person” ship and join the super geek tribe, I will welcome you with open arms and buckets full of Mystery Science Theatre to watch during your induction ceremony. Just say the word.

Until then, please watch the videos below and appreciate what I am talking about.

(ps- I tagged this as crack whore and lesbian, because I mean, why not give the people what they want? And by people, I mean the googles)

No comments:

Post a Comment